Sunday, March 18, 2007

Engine Stand

Following on from a question about my engine stand (another ebay bargain), here are a few pictures. I couldn't find a way of using the original brackets that came with the stand, they really needed to be mounted to the engine backplate - this doesn't help when you are trying to strip and rebuild an engine.


I have used the off side engine mounting bracket on the block with an additional 10mm steel plate, I offset the plate so that the centre of the stand is roughly in line with the middle of the block, this makes it very easy to rotate the block.


When fitting the engine to the stand, I found it easier to remove the rotating part of the stand along with the metal plate and fit this to the engine while it was being supported on the hoist, it was then just a case of lining the stand up with the mounting bracket spigot.


I did have concerns about the strength of the block casting, I initially trialled the brackets using a complete scrap 2500 engine with as much weight bolted to it as I could find, it all seemed to work ok but does become slightly more difficult to turn with a complete engine.

No comments: