Sunday, March 18, 2007

Engine Complete

My replacement cam arrived last week so I was able to finish off the rebuild on Saturday afternoon. I opted for a Newman PH3 300 degree duration cam, this had to be timed to achieve full inlet valve lift at 110 degrees after TDC. I initially set this up without the head fitted then rechecked when it was all assembled.

The rest of what can easily be fitted was bolted on ready for installation. Another mod that I have recently been looking into along with some friends was to add a supplementary oil supply to the main gallery at the front of the block - the idea being that it maintains equal oil pressure to all the main bearings. This is nothing new - we were just looking at a quick and easy way to try it. I wasn't going to fit it to my engine initially but following what we suspect to be front bearing failure (due to lack of oil pressure) on a friends car at the Silverstone trackday, I thought I might as well.

It's basically a feed from the oil filter housing directly to the front of the main oil gallery, It will be very difficult to establish if it makes any improvement but it should not have any detrimental effect, in theory it should help maintain an equal pressure along the gallery.

Next job was to get the engine back in, as the gearbox and bonnet are still fitted, I thought I would treat myself to an engine load leveller to aid re-fitting the engine - set off down to machine mart at 4:30 yesterday only to find they had sold the one they had that morning - sods law - not to worry, I have now ordered one off the Internet that should be here Tuesday (cheaper as well).

I will fit the front pulley when the engine is back in, I currently have it at work as I am using it to make a boss to hold a 36-1 trigger wheel for a friends EFi conversion. Next job is to start putting the throttle bodies back together, these were stripped so that they could be ported and matched to the heads, i was thinking about making some new spindles and fitting sealing bushes but this can wait as I need to get the car mot'd at the start of April.

No comments: