Sunday, August 31, 2008

More Type 9

Been doing a bit more work with the Type 9 conversion

Used a stripped out box for a trial fit, makes getting it in and out easier. Fabricated a new rear mounting plate which then uses a Carterham / Westfield gearbox mount.

Had the new propshaft made...............

The following picture shows the modifications that were made to the chassis, you don't really need to remove quite as much as I have but I was playing around with a couple of different mounts, you can get the rear of the gearbox quite low if you use an original Sierra gearbox mounts, didn't go for this option as I thought it would interfere with the exhaust system.

Once I was happy with the clearance I drilled a number of holes with a spot weld cutter around the modified area and puddle welded just to make sure there was plenty of strength.

Also finished of the gearchange, all seems to work ok on the bench, getting quite good at understanding how these things go together as it took me three attempts at getting the gearchange to work correctly, this is partly my own fault as I have cut quite alot of the original remote housing away, this was all done with the intention of getting this gearbox to fit under a standard gearbox tunnel, sadly that is not going to be possible, I will need to make a minor modification but it shouldn't be noticeable, more to follow on that.......

All that's left to do is fit some new seals and gaskets, they should be here early this week so it should all be fitted by next weekend.

Just the exhaust to refit, need to tighten up the 3 into 1 collector as it was starting to blow a bit, also have a slight leak from the manifold so I might as well do it all at the same time.

This then leads me to another dilemma, seriously considering trying a TR5 camshaft that I had fitted in my original engine, with all the manifolds off its not too much more of a job to pull the head off and change the cam at the same time, only problem I have is that the RBRR is quickly approaching, decisions, decisions.

Looking forward to a productive week as I'm between jobs at the moment so I can get to spend some quality time in the garage........

2 comments:

ChrisW said...

Hi Mike,

Very impressed by the Type 9 conversion, nice clean engineering, would the adapter fit a 1500 Spitfire do you think?

Also how did you get on with the clutch mechanism, lever etc. and spigot bearing?

ChrisW

Mike said...

Hi Chris,

mail me at

mike.bestard@uwclub.net

and I'll give you some more detail

Mike